The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction today announced the 2017 shortlist. Now in its twenty-second year, the Prize celebrates excellence, originality and accessibility in writing by women in English from throughout the world.
The six shortlisted novels are:
- Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀̀ (Canongate)
- The Power by Naomi Alderman (Viking)
- The Dark Circle by Linda Grant (Virago)
- The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan (4th Estate)
- First Love by Gwendoline Riley (Granta)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien (Granta)
The winner will receive a cheque for £30,000 and a limited-edition bronze known as a ‘Bessie’, created by the artist Grizel Niven. The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony at the Royal Festival Hall on 7 June 2017.
This year’s judges are Tessa Ross (Chair), Sam Baker, Katie Derham, Aminatta Forna and Sara Pascoe.
Dates for your diary
- Baileys Book Bar, Waterstones, Tottenham Court Road - Monday 3 – Friday 7 April
- Shortlist readings - Monday 5 June
- Winner announced - Wednesday 7 June
Keep up to date
Twitter - @BaileysPrize
Website - http://www.womensprizeforfiction.co.uk/
About the prize
The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction, administered by the Society of Authors, is one of the most respected and celebrated literary awards worldwide. An annual prize, it celebrates the very best full length fiction written by women throughout the world.
Read the full details on the Baileys website.