UK’s biggest prize fund to celebrate literature in 2018 – Society of Authors awards open for entries

8 September 2017

The Society of Authors is inviting entries for its 2018 Authors’ Awards. Run by authors for authors, the prizes make up the UK’s biggest literary prize fund. A total of £94k was awarded in 2017.

At a ceremony next summer, this unique range of prizes will celebrate the work of more than 20 writers of poetry, fiction and non-fiction – many just launching their literary careers, others well established.

Three of the awards celebrate younger authors, with the Betty Trask Prize and Awards and Somerset Maugham Awards given to writers under 35, while the Eric Gregory Awards are given to poets under 30. Past winners at the beginning of their careers include Zadie Smith (2001), Carol Ann Duffy (1984) and Hari Kunzru (2002).

Ben Okri presenting Barney Norris with a Betty Trask Award at the 2017 Authors' Awards © Adrian Pope

Five awards

The SoA is inviting entries for five awards. All entry forms can be found online, along with eligibility criteria and instructions on how to submit your work to each award.

• Betty Trask Prize and Awards
    For a first novel* by a writer under 35. ​Past winners include Zadie Smith, David Szalay, Hari Kunzru and Sarah Waters. Total prize and award fund at least £20,000.

• Eric Gregory Awards
    For a collection of poems* by a poet under 30. Past winners include Carol Ann Duffy, Tom Chivers, Helen Mort and Alan Hollinghurst. Total award fund £20,000.

• McKitterick Prize
    For a first novel* by a writer over 40. Past winners include Helen Dunmore, Mark Haddon and Petinah Gappah. Total prize fund £5,000.

• Somerset Maugham Awards
    For published works of fiction, non-fiction or poetry by writers under 35, to enable young writers to enrich their work by gaining experience of foreign countries. Past winners include Hari Kunzru, Helen Oyeyemi, Julian Barnes, Zadie Smith and Jonathan Freedland. Total prize fund £10,000.

• Tom-Gallon Trust Award
    For a short story* by a writer who has had at least one short story accepted for publication. Total award fund £1,500.

* - open to published (including self-published) or unpublished works.

The Eric Gregory Awards, McKitterick Prize and Tom-Gallon Trust Award are open for entries until 31 October. The deadline for entries to the Betty Trask Prize and Awards and the Somerset Maugham Awards is 30 November.

At the 2018 ceremony we will also present the Cholmondeley Awards to recognise the achievement and distinction of individual poets, the Elizabeth Longford Prize for Historical Biography and The Travelling Scholarships to enable creative writers to keep in touch with their colleagues abroad.

New eligibility criteria for 2018

A public consultation in 2016 led to approval from the Charity Commission to modernise the eligibility criteria for three of our prizes to make them more inclusive.

The original criteria, established between 1946-1984, had restricted entries based on author’ nationality. The Somerset Maugham and Eric Gregory Funds required authors to be a British subject by birth, while the Betty Trask Foundation was restricted to citizens of the Commonwealth. We felt these criteria failed to represent the UK’s diverse cultural landscape.

Under the updated terms, authors must either be a British national or have been resident in Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or in the case of the Betty Trask Foundation, the Commonwealth) for three years prior to the date of submission for the award.

The new criteria will be in effect for the first time in the 2018 awards, and we look forward to welcoming an even more diverse range of entries.

If you have any queries regarding any of the prizes and awards, please contact the Prizes Department at Prizes@societyofauthors.org or 020 7373 6642

COMMENTS

ILLUMINATI USA (16/02/2018 11:27)
If interested to join the Illuminati brotherhood headquarters at (U.S.A) Email:(joinilluminati666usa@gmail.com)
Contact us through this line below. whats-app only
Please Whatsapp only +1(539)888-2243.

For your online initiation.
No matter where you are. No distance can affect the work of our baphomet.
Add us on whatsapp via:+1(539)888-2243.
Do not be deceived and beware of online internet
fraudsters claiming to be one of us do make sure you
confirm first before making an inquiries............"
juwan james (14/02/2018 03:29)
" Don't failed to see the light. Money, powers, fame, and wealth become your title in just three days. If interested to join whatsapp+2348180828544 or email illuminatiworld345@gmail.com"
Sandra Gomez (13/02/2018 12:52)
If interested to join the Illuminati brotherhood headquarters at (U.S.A) Email:(joinilluminati66Atgmail.com)
call or whats-app agent through this contact...
+2348036148428

For your online initiation.
No matter where you are. No distance can affect the work of our baphomet.
Contact us on Viber
+1(515)608-7779
Do not be deceived and beware of online internet
fraudsters claiming to be one of us do make sure you
confirm first before making an inquiries..."
berry castle (12/02/2018 11:52)
" am so happy to say to the world that am one of the richest by having the sum of $360 millions dollars in my personal account as a new member and am also known all over the world with the business given to me by the Illuminati and also have power to do that which I want...... I know so many people may be on my lane also looking for help here is their official email illuminatiusatemple666@gmail.com Whats-app +1(251)2077586
BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, AND YOU MUST BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.."
berry castle (12/02/2018 11:47)
BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, AND YOU MUST BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS."
berry castle (12/02/2018 11:43)
" HELLO viewer am here to share my testimony on how I finally join the Illuminati hood and became RICH,FAMOUS AND POWERFUL, I tried all my possible best to become a member of the hood but I was scam several times, before I finally come across a testimony on net so I contacted the agent, I was so afraid that he will ask me for lot of money before I can join the hood but to my greatest surprise he only ask me to obtain the membership form which I did and today am so happy to say to the world that am one of the richest by having the sum of $360 millions dollars in my personal account as a new member and am also known all over the world with the business given to me by the Illuminati and also have power to do that which I want...... I know so many people may be on my lane also looking for help here is their official email illuminatiusatemple666@gmail.com Whats-app +1(251)2077586
BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, AND YOU MUST BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS."
James Olan (12/02/2018 11:08)
" Here comes an Easy way to become a member of the world's famous brotherhood {Illuminati}. For working class, Business men/ women, artist, Politicians that wants to become bigger, Powerful and Influential in the world, join us to become one of our official member today. You shall be given an ideal chance to visit the Illuminati circle after registration is completed by you, no sacrifice or human life needed, Illuminati brotherhood brings along protection, power, wealth and fame in life. You have a full access to eradicate poverty from your generation. It only an existing member of the circle of Illuminati that has the authority to introduce any member to the circle. So before you contact us, you must be above 18yrs and once you become a member you will be entitled to all the benefits for the rest of your life. So if you are ready to become a member, contact me on email: illuminatibrother002@gmail.com or call/text (307) 463 4984 for further details."
Richee (06/02/2018 10:38)
" Join the biggest brotherhood of richies, wealths,powers,protections and famous today. know as the great Illuminati. the world number one money making family. for more information and help on how to become a member contact us today on thibautlouis11@gmail.com hurry up now. during your initiation into the brother hood, 2million US Dollar will be forwarded into your account and some other vital secret things. EMAIL us today at thibautlouis11@gmail.com. we all welcome you to our world. join us today and be rich forever, the power to be rich and to be poor is in your hands.contact us on phone and whatsapp +2348158847627"
Richee (06/02/2018 10:32)
" Join the biggest brotherhood of richies, wealths,powers,protections and famous today. know as the great Illuminati. the world number one money making family. for more information and help on how to become a member contact us today on thibautlouis11@gmail.com hurry up now. during your initiation into the brother hood, 2million US Dollar will be forwarded into your account and some other vital secret things. EMAIL us today at thibautlouis11@gmail.com. we all welcome you to our world. join us today and be rich forever, the power to be rich and to be poor is in your hands.contact us on phone and whatsapp +2348158847627.."
agent smith (06/02/2018 05:30)
" It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
contact : illuminati666official@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(863)693-9739 EL
IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
ORGANIZATION

Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

Whatsapp: +1(863)693-9739
Email : illuminati666official@gmail.com

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
THANKS//"
Grace Curran (31/01/2018 05:10)
Katie Levitt (28/11/2017 12:10)
" Do you have any for poets over 65 and disabled?"
Jessie (12/10/2017 02:19)
" Hi there

I was just wondering, do you have an award that is available for writers between the ages of 35 and 40? I'm 38 and have just published my first novel, but my age makes me ineligible for any of your categories. Any advice would be very welcome!

Thank you!"
Linda Wilson (03/10/2017 07:06)
" Madeleine,

Click on the McKitterick link above (the title) - it will lead to the information you need.

Good luck with your entry,

Simply Linda Wilson"
Madeleine Dimitroff (02/10/2017 03:01)
" Hello!

I recently completed my first novel and would be interested in submitting it for consideration of the McKitterick Prize. Please advise me re: the submission requirements and the format in which I should do so.

Madeleine Dimitroff"
Madeleine Dimitroff (02/10/2017 03:01)
" Hello!