Before you complete the application form, please check that you meet one of the requirements listed below. If you have any queries, please contact our Membership Department.
Membership is open to:
- writers, illustrators and translators who have had a full-length work traditionally published (not at the author's expense and not only as print-on-demand/ebook), broadcast, or performed commercially;
- those who have published or broadcast an equivalent body of recognised professional literary work (e.g. articles, short stories, poems, items in other media);
- those who are the owners/administrators of a deceased author’s estate;
- those who have self-published or have had a work published on a print-on-demand/ebook only basis and have sold over 300 copies of a single title in print form or 500 copies in ebook form within a 12-month period.
Persons who do not satisfy the requirements above can apply to be an Associate if they:
- have received an offer to publish or broadcast a full-length work in any format (not at the author’s expense);
- have received an agreement from a UK agent but have had no work published;
- have had a work published on a print-on-demand and/or ebook basis (and have not met the sales criteria indicated for Membership – see above);
- self-publish (and have not met the sales criteria indicated for Membership – see above);
- have been offered a contract which asks for a contribution towards the costs of publication.