Venue: The Society of Authors, 84 Drayton Gardens, London, SW10 9SB.
Translation Industry Day
Tuesday 12 June, 11am - 5.30pm
We are increasingly aware that many of our members work in isolation and may find it difficult to keep up with the pace of change in the publishing world. So we thought it might be helpful to organise an Industry Day to update members on current publishing trends and practices in the marketplace for literature in translation. Like many members, I live outside London, so I am also aware of the difficulty and expense of travel into London in the peak period. We hope that a late morning start will allow more members from outside London to join us. - Maureen Freely, TA Chair
The day will consist of sessions on the following topics:
- Briony Everroad from Harvill Secker on the current marketplace for publishing literature in translation
- Catheryn Kilgarriff from Marion Boyars on reader’s reports
- Sarah Burton, TA Secretary, on publishing contracts
- Katharina Bielenberg from Maclehose Press on the publishing process from acquisition of rights through to publication
- Bill Swainson from Bloomsbury and Stefan Tobler from And Other Stories on the economics of publishing a book in translation
- Antonia Lloyd Jones (TA Committee) and Francois von Hurter from Bitter Lemon Press on successful negotiations between translator and publisher
- Chair Maureen Freely will conclude with an overview of current TA activity
How to book
The cost of attending, including a buffet lunch, refreshments & VAT, is £15.
If you would like to book for the Industry Day (event ID 390) please email Jessica Atkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place, and then either telephone 020 7373 6642 to pay by card or send a cheque to 84 Drayton Gardens, London SW10 9SB, made payable to 'The Society of Authors'. Please write the event ID 390 on the reverse of the cheque.
Your place will be confirmed in writing once payment has been received. The booking deadline is 5th June.