- I've just completed my first book. How do I go about getting it published?
- Where can I get advice on my contract?
- I have been asked to do some freelance work. How much should I charge?
- Where can I find information on creative writing courses?
- I have an idea for a book, but I am not a writer. Do you know an author who can help me?
- I have an idea for a book: how can I protect it?
- Do I need an agent?
- I have had an offer from a publisher/an agent: how do I know they are OK?
- What are the Society's views on authors paying for publication?
- What are the Society's views on electronic and print-on-demand publishers?
- What are the best markets for short stories?
- Where can I find details of grants and prizes?
- Are grants available to help me self-publish my book?
- I am looking for a translator from a foreign language into English. Can you recommend anybody?
Copyright and Permissions
- How do I copyright my work?
- How long does copyright last?
- How much can I quote without permission?
- Where can I find out who controls the rights in a particular work?
- How do I obtain permission from rights holders?
- FAQs for educational writers (members only)
- FAQs for translators
- From Pitch to Publication: Everything You Need to Know to Get Your Novel Published -- Carole Blake
- Dear Agent: Write the Letter That Sells Your Book -- Nicola Morgan
- Help! I Need a Publisher! - Nicola Morgan
- The Writers' & Artists' Yearbook - A&C Black
- PLR: The Author's Right to Payment Public Lending Right UK
For more useful sources of information, see our general booklist.