The Society has a number of Quick Guides and Occasional Papers that answer common queries.
If you are having trouble accessing any of the guides, please contact us.
The following Guides are free to download:
- Author Appearances Report
- Author visits - guidelines for schools
- Author visits - guidelines for authors
- Controversies Around Self-Publishing Services
- Events checklist and Invoicing checklist for events
- Guidance for authors talking in universities
- Guidance for festival organisers
- Guidance for schools and universities on engaging self-employed authors for one-off appearances
- Quick Guide to Authors' Agents
- Quick Guide to Copyright and Moral Rights
- Quick Guide to Copyright and Permissions
- Vanity Publishing
- What sort of deal are you being offered?
- What's The Point of Author Visits?
Members/associates can view all of the Society's Guides and a large range of articles from The Author by logging into the members' area of the website.
The following Guides are available free to members/associates of the Society, £10 post free to non-members:
- POD/Ebook Publishing
- Publishing Contracts
- Translator-Publisher Agreements
- Self-Publishing Fiction, General Non-fiction, Poetry and Memoirs. Self-Publishing Specialist Non-fiction supplement
The following Guides are available free to members/associates, £7.50 post free to non-members:
- Author Appearances
The following Guides are available free to members/associates, £5 post free to non-members:
- Ghost Writing/Collaboration Contracts
- Indexing Your Book
- Chasing Payment
- Claiming for Infringement
The following Guides are free to members/associates, £2 post free to non-members:
- The Protection of Titles
- Your Copyrights After Your Death
- Copyright in Artistic Works including Photographs
- Value Added Tax 2010-2011
- Income Tax 2012-2013
- Libel, Privacy and Confidentiality
- Marketing Your Book
- Dealing with Newspapers and Magazines
The following Occasional Papers are free to members/associates, £1 post free to non-members:
- Film Options on Literary Properties
- Vanity/Subsidy Publishing
- Packaged Books and Co-Editions
To request any of the above, please email us. If you are not a member, please send your order to Publications, The Society of Authors, 84 Drayton Gardens, London SW10 9SB, enclosing a cheque made payable to The Society of Authors. You can also pay by credit/debit over the phone on 0207 373 6642 and the guides can be sent electronically.
- The Publishers Association's Code of Practice
- PLR: The Author's Right to Payment
- The Booksellers Association Guide to Social Media
- Reproduction of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates