The 6 August deadline for receipt of members' ballot papers is near. Return yours today.
What we do
The Society of Authors is a trade union for professional writers, which has over 9,000 members. We advise on rights, fees or on any query about the business of writing, and we also provide training.
We represent authors in collective negotiations with publishers to improve terms generally, as well as lobbying on issues that affect authors such as copyright, PLR and unfair terms. We also campaign about matters of principal concern to our members.
We act as literary representative for the estates of distinguished writers including George Bernard Shaw, Virginia Woolf, Philip Larkin, E. M. Forster, Rosamond Lehmann, Walter de la Mare, John Masefield and Compton Mackenzie.
Why you should join
On joining the SoA you have access to the following FREE benefits:
- Confidential, individual vetting of contracts
- Advice about rights, fees or on any query to help you negotiate with your publisher
- Lobbying and collective negotiation - we lobby together to improve terms for all authors on issues such as copyright, PLR and unfair terms
- Access to a fantastic range of resources that will help you through the publishing process
- Subscription to The Author, our quarterly journal. An invaluable source of information, news and opinion with articles from prominent industry professionals
- An extensive calendar of events and training sessions
- Optional listing on our public database of members
- And many more membership benefits and exclusive discounts
What our members say
"I've recently used the Society's contracts advisory service and strongly recommend it to others... the advice was accurate, helpful and provided by return"
Find an author
Find an author by surname
21 August, 2014
9 September, 2014
11 September, 2014
17 September, 2014
Gloucestershire and Neighbouring Counties Luncheon Meetings: Writing about Merthyr Tydfil, Monday 29 September29 September, 2014
Sign up for our fortnightly events updates