Illustration © ngupakarti
We are one of the few organisations to make grants to writers for works in progress, currently awarding over £360,000 each year.
The Authors’ Foundation and K Blundell Trust award grants twice yearly to writers whose book project is for a commercial UK publisher.
These grants assist writers with research costs or by buying them time to write, helping them to bring exciting new work into the world. We support writers from a range of genres and styles and at all stages of their literary careers.
In December 2019 we awarded over £185,000 to 72 authors, helping them with travel costs and easing financial pressures. Read more here
Read our FAQs here
In response to the global COVID-19 coronavirus crisis the Spring round deadline has been extended to 15 April 2020. We still expect to be able to dispense funds to successful applicants in August.
We have two rounds of funding each year, in the Spring and in the Autumn.
| Application Deadline
| 1 April, annually
| 1 September, annually
The Authors' Foundation
"An Authors' Foundation grant means, of course, time - I can now see my way through the months to [my project's] end - but it also means a great boost in spirits and confidence, a sense that others too believe in this project. For both of these things, I am enormously grateful"
– Tom Bullough, Spring 2018
The Authors’ Foundation was set up from donations by authors in 1984. It has received contributions from authors, charitable trusts, and the Royal Literary Fund.
Charity number 326605/ Arthur Welton 282446
You may apply if:
- You have been commissioned by a commercial British publisher to write a full-length work of fiction, poetry, or non-fiction and need funding (in addition to any publisher's advance) for important research, travel, or other general expenditure.
- You are without a contractual commitment with a publisher but have had at least one book published commercially by a British publisher, and there is a strong likelihood that your next book will be published in Britain.
The K Blundell Trust
"Finding our I'd been awarded this much-needed grant from the Society of Authors and K Blundell Trust is life-changing news for me... As a single mum with sole responsibility for bills and running the house, I work five says a week in my job, as well as freelancing. Prioritisation and constant money worries mean I rarely get a moment to write and my writing career often feels like an afterthought... As well as lifting an enormous burden off my shoulders, knowing the judges like my existing book and the premise of my new one is a brilliant confidence boost."
– Emily Morris, Spring 2019
The K Blundell Trust, generously endowed by the late Kathleen Blundell, gives grants of up to £6,000 to British authors under the age of 40 whose work, which can be fiction or non-fiction, aims to increase social awareness.
Charity number 296487
At Miss Blundell's request, applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- The author must be British by birth, ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, and under the age of 40 on the closing date for applications.
- The author must submit a copy of their latest published book.
- The work must 'contribute to the greater understanding of existing social and economic organisations'. Fiction is not excluded.