You may apply if:
- You have been commissioned by a commercial British publisher to write a full-length work of fiction, poetry, or non-fiction and need funding (in addition to any publisher's advance) for important research, travel, or other general expenditure.
- You are without a contractual commitment with a publisher but have had at least one book published commercially by a British publisher, of which you are the sole author, and there is a strong likelihood that your next book will be published in Britain.
In both cases you must have a non-contributory contract (either currently or for a previous publication) where you, the author, did not pay funds towards publication costs.
Conditions of Entry
- No author may apply to the Foundation twice in the same year.
- Successful applicants must wait four years before reapplying to the Foundation. For example if you received funds in the Autumn round of 2020 you must wait until Spring of 2025 before reapplying.
- Grants will not be awarded to cover publication costs (see details of these in our FAQs).
- Editors, translators, and screenwriters are not eligible.
How to Apply
Application is made by email. Please attach your application in .doc or .pdf format. Please include the following:
- In the body of your email (this is used by the Awards team to process your application):
- Your real name in full and any pen-names used.
- Contact details including postal address.
- The sum requested (NB: Most grants range between £3,000-£3,500 and occasionally £5,000-£6,000).
- Details of your current publisher or the publisher who has published your latest work.
- An 80-100 word summary briefly explaining the project you are requesting funding for and a short outline of your current financial position.
- In your attached letter (this is sent to our assessing panel and should include all information relevant to your application):
- Full details of the book on which you are working.
- Brief information about yourself and your books.
- Details of any publisher's advance received or due (the size of any advance may be taken into consideration by the assessors).
- The names of publishers contacted if applicable. If you have not approached any publishers with your project, please explain why not.
- A brief outline of your financial position, specifying the sum needed, with reasons.
- Details of any grants you have received in the last three years.
- Please also attach copies of a few reviews of your work, if available (no more than 4).
Send to email@example.com with 'AUTHORS' FOUNDATION APPLICATION' in the subject line.