Conditions of Entry
- No author may apply to the Foundation twice in the same year.
- Successful applicants must wait four years before reapplying to the Foundation.
- Grants will not be awarded to cover publication costs (see details of these in our FAQs).
- Editors, translators, and screenwriters are not eligible.
How to Apply
Application is made by email. Please attach your application in .doc or .pdf format. Please include the following:
- In the body of your email (this is used by the Awards team to process your application):
- Your real name in full and any pen-names used.
- Contact details including postal address.
- The sum requested (NB: Most grants range between £3,000-£3,500 and occasionally £5,000-£6,000).
- Details of your current publisher or the publisher who has published your latest work.
- An 80-100 word summary briefly explaining the project you are requesting funding for and a short outline of your current financial position.
- In your attached letter (this is sent to our assessing panel and should include all information relevant to your application):
- Full details of the book on which you are working.
- Brief information about yourself and your books.
- Details of any publisher's advance received or due (the size of any advance may be taken into consideration by the assessors).
- The names of publishers contacted if applicable. If you have not approached any publishers with your project, please explain why not.
- A brief outline of your financial position, specifying the sum needed, with reasons.
- Details of any grants you have received in the last three years.
- Please also attach copies of a few reviews of your work, if available (no more than 4).
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with either 'AUTHORS' FOUNDATION APPLICATION' or 'K BLUNDELL APPLICATION' in the subject line.
NB: If you are applying to the K Blundell Trust either attach an ebook of your latest publication to your application email, or send a copy (which will be returned if a self-addressed label and stamps are enclosed) to THE K BLUNDELL TRUST, THE SOCIETY OF AUTHORS, 24 BEDFORD ROW, LONDON, WC1R 4EH.