Conditions of Entry
- No author may apply to the Foundation twice in the same year.
- Successful applicants must wait four years before reapplying to the Foundation.
- Grants will not be awarded to cover publication costs (see details of these in our FAQs).
- Editors, translators, and screenwriters are not eligible.
How to Apply
In response to the global COVID-19 coronavirus crisis the Spring round deadline has been extended to 15 April 2020. We still expect to be able to dispense funds to successful applicants in August.
Application is made by email. Please attach your application in .doc or .pdf format. Please include the following:
- In the body of your email (this is used by the Awards team to process your application):
- Your real name in full and any pen-names used.
- Contact details including postal address.
- The sum requested (NB: Most grants range between £3,000-£3,500 and occasionally £5,000-£6,000).
- Details of your current publisher or the publisher who has published your latest work.
- An 80-100 word summary briefly explaining the project you are requesting funding for and a short outline of your current financial position.
- In your attached letter (this is sent to our assessing panel and should include all information relevant to your application):
- Full details of the book on which you are working.
- Brief information about yourself and your books.
- Details of any publisher's advance received or due (the size of any advance may be taken into consideration by the assessors).
- The names of publishers contacted if applicable. If you have not approached any publishers with your project, please explain why not.
- A brief outline of your financial position, specifying the sum needed, with reasons.
- Details of any grants you have received in the last three years.
- Please also attach copies of a few reviews of your work, if available (no more than 4).
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with either 'AUTHORS' FOUNDATION APPLICATION' or 'K BLUNDELL APPLICATION' in the subject line.
NB: If you are applying to the K Blundell Trust either attach an ebook of your latest publication to your application email, or send a copy (which will be returned if a self-addressed label and stamps are enclosed) to THE K BLUNDELL TRUST, THE SOCIETY OF AUTHORS, 24 BEDFORD ROW, LONDON, WC1R 4EH.