Can’t afford a break for creative work, research, collaboration, discussions with fellow artists, rest, recreation, and/or convalescence?
Thanks to the generosity of the Francis W Reckitt Arts Trust we are delighted to be able to offer a limited number of grants (typically in the region of £300) to professional authors for residential stays.
Residencies may be anywhere, though the Trust has a relationship with Hawkwood College in Gloucestershire, and authors and groups of authors may wish to stay there.
Grants must be used only for accommodation and meals for the author, but the Authors’ Contingency Fund will give consideration to applications for supplementary grants towards reasonable travel costs or other needs such as respite care.
Grants for residential stays will usually be no more than £300, but fair consideration will be given to all proposals.
The deadline for the next round of applications is 4 June 2019 (to be awarded no later than 1 July 2019).
However, we may be prepared to consider urgent requests if a conference, residence or period of convalescence does not fit with this deadline, or if the timing affects the affordability of the stay. Please do not book accommodation or travel until you have been notified of the outcome.
1. Grants must be awarded to professional authors, by which we mean those who:
- have devoted most of their training and/or working lives in pursuit of their art and/or craft;
- are known for their artistic work;
- intend on the whole to continue with it (unless they are retiring from work altogether) and
- have made a significant portion of their income from that pursuit and that work.
- Grants must support residencies which could otherwise not be afforded, i.e. the author’s financial means are not sufficiently flexible in general to be able to afford such stays, and insufficient to cover the stay which would be supported by the specific grant.
How to apply
Please complete our short application form and write a covering letter (1-2 pages) which should include the following information:
- A brief outline of your financial situation;
- The purpose and brief details of the proposed residential stay (e.g. writing retreat, convalescence, rest, recreation);
- The length of the proposed stay and at what daily cost;
- Details of any additional costs (travel, respite care) for which you require financial support from the contingency funds.
Please submit by post to Grants, The Society of Authors, 24 Bedford Row, London WC1R 4EH or by email.
Please note: For grants to assist with substantial research or travel costs, or to ‘buy time’ to complete a work in progress, see the Authors' Foundation.
The Authors’ Contingency Fund gratefully acknowledges the contribution from the Francis W Reckitt Arts Trust which enables beneficiaries to go away for holidays or work trips which they otherwise would not have been able to afford.
Authors’ Contingency Fund charity no. 212406.