The group was established February 2018 by member Paula Brackston with the intention of representing and supporting Welsh writers - both professionally and by providing networking opportunities. We have begun with a series of events (the details of which are automatically mailed to any interested members who elect to subscribe) and by establishing The Cwtch, a closed Facebook group for all SoA members resident or interested in Wales.
New members are welcome to join the group with a joining offer WALES1512 whilst we establish - which gives an extra free three months of membership to the yearly membership subscription and full access to SoA services and benefits such as the contracts advisory service. Existing members can apply for our Welsh benefits - 20% off a subscription to New Welsh Review as well as accomodation at The Gladstone Library. Log into the SoA membership 'benefits' section to gain the codes.
Our first event of 2019 will be an afternoon tea with poets Jonathan Edwards, Christopher Meredith on Saturday 9 February at the Seren Cornerstones Poetry Festival in Cardiff.
See here for booking details and to apply for a discounted rate. At 5.45 we will reconvene (or you can join us) for a pub social at the Owain Glyndwr on Church St.
See here for information and bookings for the full festival programme.
We are currently still planning the rest of our events schedule, but last year we held the following events:
- Aberystwyth University with Honno, the Welsh Books Council (host: Liz Jones);
- David Thorpe seminar on character, and presentations with Graffeg and Literature Wales at arts venue Cornerstone, Cardiff (host: Katherine Stansfield);
- Amazon Academy event at Celtic Manor Resort;
- Social and Skills Share: Publicity at Swansea's Volcano Theatre (host: Helen Docherty);
- An informal christmas lunch in Abergavenny's The Chapel (hosts: Paula Brackston and Jo McCrum).
Please get in touch with Jo if you would like to subscribe to the group or would like a meeting in your town. We are always looking for hosts who can advise and facilitate arrangements.