Betty Trask left a bequest to the Society of Authors in 1983 to fund prizes for first novels written by authors under the age of 35 in a traditional or romantic, but not experimental, style.
2020 Betty Trask Prize Winner
Kathryn Hind for Hitch (Hamish Hamilton)
Betty Trask Award Winners
- Stacey Halls for The Familiars (Zaffre, Bonnier Books UK)
- Isabella Hammad for The Parisian (Jonathan Cape, Vintage)
- Okeychukwu Nzelu for The Private Joys of Nnenna Maloney (Dialogue Books)
The 2021 Prize
Deadline for entries: 30 November 2020 at 5pm (GMT).
Important information for the 2021 prize.
- Applicants must be under the age of 35 on 31 December 2020
- Applicants must be resident in Great Britain and Northern Ireland of the Commonwealth for three years prior to the date of submission for the award, or a British National
- Applicants must not have had any other novel published
- Submissions must be in English and must not be a translation
- Submissions must be of a romantic or traditional nature (i.e. not experimental)
- Submissions must have been first published in 2020, or be unpublished
- If unpublished, the work must not have been previously submitted for the Betty Trask Prize and Awards
Charity number 289519