Betty Trask left a bequest to the Society of Authors in 1983 to fund prizes for first novels written by authors under the age of 35 in a traditional or romantic, but not experimental, style.
Entry to the 2020 prize is closed.
The deadline for entries was 30 November 2019 at 5pm (GMT).
Important information for the 2020 prize.
- Applicants must be under the age of 35 on 31 December 2019
- Applicants must be resident in Great Britain and Northern Ireland of the Commonwealth for three years prior to the date of submission for the award, or a British National
- Applicants must not have had any other novel published
- Submissions must be in English and must not be a translation
- Submissions must be of a romantic or traditional nature (i.e. not experimental)
- Submissions must have been first published in 2019, or be unpublished
- If unpublished, the work must not have been previously submitted for the Betty Trask Prize and Awards
Charity number 289519