W. Somerset Maugham set up a fund in 1947 to enable young writers to enrich their work by gaining experience of foreign countries. The awards are given for a published work of fiction, non-fiction or poetry.
- Alex Allison for The Art of the Body (Dialogue Books/Little, Brown)
- Oliver Soden for Michael Tippet: The Biography (Weidenfeld and Nicholson/Orion)
- Roseanne Watt for Moder Dy (Birlinn/Polygon)
- Amrou Al-Kadhi for My Life as a Unicorn (4th Estate)
The 2021 awards will open on 4 August and the deadline for entries will be 30 November 2020 at 5pm (GMT).
Important information on the 2021 prize.
- Applicants must be a British national, or ordinarily resident in the UK
- Applicants must be under the age of 30 on 30 November 2020
- Submissions must have been first published in the UK in 2020
- Submissions may be poetry, fiction, criticism, biography, history, philosophy, belles-lettres or a travel book. Dramatic works are not eligible
- The prize money must be used for foreign travel
Charity number 212402