The Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize is an annual award of £3,000 for published translations from Arabic of full-length works of imaginative and creative writing of literary merit and general interest.
Established in 2006 by Banipal Magazine and the Banipal Trust for Arab Literature, the prize is sponsored by Omar Saif Ghobash and his family in memory of his father, a passionate bibliophile.
The 2018 Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize, for translations published between April 2017 and March 2018, went to Luke Leafgren for his translation of The President's Gardens by Muhsin Al-Ramli (MacLehose/Quercus).
The 2019 Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize, for translations published between April 2018 and March 2019 will be presented in 2020.
Entry to the 2019 Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize is now open.
- Entries must be translations from Arabic into English.
- Entries must have been published between April 2018 and March 2019.
- The deadline for the 2019 prize is 31 March 2019.
- Full Terms and Conditions are listed at the start of the entry form.
- Books must be sent to the SoA's new address AFTER 25 March 2019. The deadline fo books arriving is 23 April 2019.