The Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize is an annual award of £3,000 for published translations from Arabic of full-length works of imaginative and creative writing of literary merit and general interest.
The Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize for Arabic Literary Translation (into English) was established by Banipal Magazine and the Banipal Trust for Arab Literature. The prize is sponsored by Omar Saif Ghobash and the Ghobash family in memory of his father, a passionate bibliophile and is administered by the Society of Authors.
The Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize 2020 winner was Kay Heikkenen for her translation of Velvet by Huzama Habayeb (Hoopoe an imprint of AUC Press)
The 2021 prize is now closed for submissions
- Entries must be translations from Arabic into English.
- Entries must have been published between April 2020 and March 2021.
- The deadline for both entries and publication for the 2021 Prize is 31 March 2021.
- Full Terms and Conditions will be listed at the start of the entry form.
- Presented at a ceremony in 2022.