The Schlegel-Tieck Prize is an annual award of £3,000 for translations into English of full length German works of literary merit and general interest.
First awarded in 1965 and named for two poets of the Romantic period, August Wilhelm Schlegel (1767-1845) and Ludwig Tieck (1773-1853), the prize is generously sponsored by the Goethe-Institut.
The 2018 Schlegel-Tieck Prize, for translations published in 2017, went toTony Crawford for his translation of Wonder Beyond Belief by Navid Kermani (Polity Press).
The 2019 Schlegel-Tieck Prize, for translations published in 2018, will be presented in 2020, and is now closed for entries.
Closing date: Friday 28 February 2020, 5pm (GMT)
- Entries must be translations from German into English.
- The original must have been first published in the last 100 years.
- Entries must have been published in 2019.
- Full Terms and Conditions are listed at the start of the entry form.
- Presented at a ceremony in 2021.