W. Somerset Maugham set up a fund in 1947 to enable young writers to enrich their work by gaining experience of foreign countries. The awards are given for a published work of fiction, non-fiction or poetry.
- Akeem Balogun for The Storm (Okapi Books)
- Graeme Armstrong for The Young Team (Pan Macmillan, Picador)
- Isabelle Baafi for Ripe (Ignition Press)
- Lamorna Ash for Dark, Salt, Clear (Bloomsbury Publishing)
Entry to the 2021 Awards is now closed
Important information on the 2021 prize.
- Applicants must be a British national, or ordinarily resident in the UK
- Applicants must be under the age of 30 on 30 November 2020
- Submissions must have been first published in the UK in 2020
- Submissions may be poetry, fiction, criticism, biography, history, philosophy, belles-lettres or a travel book. Dramatic works are not eligible
- The prize money must be used for foreign travel
Charity number 212402